Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Enable Filesharing Between Windows Visa, 7 and Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This simple tutorial shows you how to enable file sharing between Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal and Windows Vista or 7. When file sharing is enabled, both systems will be able to view and access files and folders remotely from ether machine. Users with accounts on the Ubuntu machine will also be able to access the contents in their home folder remotely.

Getting started:

To get started, logon to Windows and click ‘Start –> search for ‘Network and Sharing Center’

windows_filesharing_images_3

Then click ‘Change advanced sharing setting’

windows_filesharing_images_4

Enable filesharing and save.

windows_filesharing_images_5

Next logon to Ubuntu and click ‘Power –> System Settings’

filesharing_natty_enable

Then select ‘System –> Ubuntu Software Center’

filesharing_natty_enable_1

Next, search for and install ‘Samba’

filesharing_natty_enable_2

After installing, go to ‘Power –> System Settings’

filesharing_natty_enable

Then select ‘System –> Samba’

filesharing_natty_enable__3

Next, click ‘Preferences –> Server Settings’

filesharing_natty_enable_3

Then type the Workgroup Name, that matches the Windows computers. The default workgroup name in Windows machines is ‘Workgroup’

filesharing_natty_enable_4

Next, click ‘Add’ (Green Plus) to begin sharing files and folders.

filesharing_natty_enable_5

Then click ‘Access’ tab and grant the users you want to access the shares.

filesharing_natty_enable_6

Sharing should be enabled on both systems. If you don’t see shared folders on either system, restart both Windows and Ubuntu machines.

Enjoy!

filesharing_natty_enable_7

filesharing_natty_enable_8

To find Windows workgroup name, type the command below from the command prompt
net config workstation

If Ubuntu is prompting for passwords and won’t allow you, type this command below in Ubuntu:
smbpasswd -a USERNAME

4 comments:

  1. Excellent tutorial! I was able to connect to my Ubuntu desktop with my Windows 7 desktop and Windows 7 laptop in under 5 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well ,it is best
    do visit www.itechnetz.com for stories related to india

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed the above steps exactly and to a tee, however, I am not able to connect my Ubuntu 11.04 with my Windows Vista Desktop or the Window 7 Starter Edition netbook for that matter. However I was successful in sharing files between the netbook and the desktop.
    What should I do. I have realised that now on the network explorer on my windows vista computer, there is a another device that shows up, but it shows up as "Unknown Device". I am more than sure that it is my Ubuntu laptop. When I try to right click it or even see any of the preferences or even double click it, i get an error message on the windows vista machine saying "The properties for this item are not available"

    Please help me out bro.

    Thanks.

    Bruno

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey man

    I tried its working nd i think u should do it again

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete